Software and Data Engineer for AltoData
Grid Dynamics is looking for a Software and Data Engineer to join AltoData team in Georgia/remote.
About the project:
Altodata is a small and growing software and services company. We are data-focused, blending mature design disciplines with leading-edge techniques and tooling. Our primary client is a global transport company; one of the largest players in the UK rail industry. We are a strategic partner for the delivery of mission-critical integration components for new rail fleets and newly acquired train operating companies. We recently designed and delivered the group’s customer data integration platform, which now makes up a large part of our support and maintenance work.
Our products use a common set of technologies, all of which reside in Amazon Web
- AWS CloudFormation
- AWS Lambda
- Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL compatible
- AWS EventBridge
- Amazon API Gateway
- AWS Step Functions
- Systems Manager Parameter Store
- Secrets Manager
- AWS Transfer Family
All application control logic is developed using Python 3.x, implemented as AWS Lambda functions.
Our databases are all PostgreSQL 12+ (running on Amazon Aurora). We use SQL and PL/pgSQL extensively.
We are expanding the current team of five to include a sixth. Our small team is not functionally segregated. Every team member is proficient in all the technologies that we use, but we each have specialisms and are loosely aligned to one or other of two products that we designed, built, and operated for our client.
The one thing we all have in common is a passion for data and true expertise in SQL, which remains the most powerful data manipulation language in existence.
First-line support for our services is provided by a third party, and we share second-line support, development, and maintenance work between us. Our philosophy is to derive quality and efficacy by understanding the business and conceptualizing its data. We shape our products as equal partners with our clients.
- Work with the existing team to gain an understanding of each product’s technical and data architecture.
- Contribute to our collaborative design process, taking on internal concept proofs where appropriate.
- Take on agreed specific platform functional enhancements, consulting as frequently as needed:
- Integrate new data sources
- Deliver new API resources for data access
- Share second-line support responsibilities for the platform as a whole; specifics to be discussed and agreed.
- Have at least 5 years of experience with data-centric systems
- Have a “data first, everything else second” mindset. Specifically:
- SQL black belt – this is critical and will be tested at the first interview stage.
- Logical data modeling
- Solid understanding of how databases work, indexing strategies etc.
- Understanding of data warehousing techniques
- Be competent in programming languages including Python
- Know how RESTful APIs work, and preferably have written/delivered some
- Have a robust, broad understanding of the full stack, i.e.:
- Networking principles (addressing, routing, security etc.)
- RBAC security models
- Security (SSL, certificates etc.)
- Unix shell
- Understand the concepts of, and have some experience dealing with:
- Cloud providers of one sort or another
AWS experience is not mandatory but will be a differentiator. The product list (which is not exhaustive) is above.
Equally, knowledge of PostgreSQL and experience with PL/pgSQL will be a distinct advantage.
Grid Dynamics is an engineering services company known for transformative, mission-critical cloud solutions for the retail, finance, and technology sectors. We have architected some of the busiest e-commerce services on the Internet, and have never had an outage during the peak season. Founded in 2006 and headquartered in San Ramon, California with offices throughout the US and Eastern Europe, we focus on big data analytics, scalable omnichannel services, DevOps, and cloud enablement.
Get in touch
We'd love to hear from you. Please provide us with your preferred contact method so we can be sure to reach you.
Please follow up to email alerts if you would like to receive information related to press releases, investors relations, and regulatory filings.